MK ULTRA What “They” Have Been Doing To Our Minds (Part 2 of series)
“The best safeguard against abuses of the future, is a complete public accounting of the abuses of the past”
(Sen. Edward Kennedy , Aug 3, 1977)
I am just an American Citizen who has learned to question everything over the course of my life. I am not a professional in any sense of the word. When I first heard about MKULTRA, my first thought was to grab the tinfoil and make a hat. In the course of my research on this article, I have sadly learned a tinfoil hat is NOT needed. The points I will make in this article are from the Governments own documents on the matter, which are available to anyone with an internet connection and an interest. I am including the links at the bottom of this article (and within the article) for further research and will include page numbers of documents quoted. I have researched a wide variety of documents and spent many, many hours reading and have come up with some links and articles, that fall closest to official documents I have read and that make sense to the author in regards to this nefarious program. I am hoping to let you know the scope and magnitude of how our Government inflicted mental, emotional and physical harm on it’s own Citizens, many without their knowledge and consent.
To start, lets take a look at what exactly the clandestine service branch of the CIA does.
* We are an elite corps of men and women shaped by diverse ethnic, educational and professional backgrounds.
* We conduct clandestine missions worldwide
* We collect actionable human intelligence (HUMINT) that informs the U.S. President, senior policymakers, military and law enforcement
* Core values guide our professional and personal actions.
MKULTRA was established to counter possible Soviet and Chinese advances in brain washing and interrogation techniques. It began right after WWII The program included medical & psychological experiments, some of which had results that were not expected. This program and it’s intent became known to the general public in the 1970’s, and became the subject of several Executive and Congressional investigations.
Imagine if you will, a Government program with the following objectives in mind
The following is a list of what they were looking to accomplish, which is appendix C of the Senate Hearings on 3, August, 1977.
Substances which will promote illogical thinking and impulsiveness to the point where the recipient would be discredited in public.
Substances which increase the efficiency of mentation and perception.
Materials which will cause the victim to age faster/slower in maturity.
Materials which will promote the intoxicating effect of alcohol.
Materials which will produce the signs and symptoms of recognized diseases in a reversible way so they may be used for malingering, etc.
Materials which will cause temporary/permanent brain damage and loss of memory.
Substances which will enhance the ability of individuals to withstand privation, torture, and coercion during interrogation and so-called “brain-washing”.
Materials and physical methods which will produce amnesia for events preceding and during their use.
Physical methods of producing shock and confusion over extended periods of time and capable of surreptitious use.
Substances which produce physical disablement such as paralysis of the legs, acute anemia, etc.
Substances which will produce a chemical that can cause blisters.
Substances which alter personality structure in such a way the tendency of the recipient to become dependent upon another person is enhanced.
A material which will cause mental confusion of such a type the individual under its influence will find it difficult to maintain a fabrication under questioning.
Substances which will lower the ambition and general working efficiency of men when administered in undetectable amounts.
Substances which promote weakness or distortion of the eyesight or hearing faculties, preferably without permanent effects.
A knockout pill which can be surreptitiously administered in drinks, food, cigarettes, as an aerosol, etc., which will be safe to use, provide a maximum of amnesia, and be suitable for use by agent types on an ad hoc basis.
A material which can be surreptitiously administered by the above routes and which in very small amounts will make it impossible for a person to perform physical activity.
Prior to MKULTRA was a campaign referred to as Operation Paperclip. In this the US Military recruited Nazi Scientists, Concentration Camp Drs. and Psychiatrists to work in and with what would evolve in MKULTRA, as well as other Government programs. The Nazi’s were given a choice, and most chose to be “forgiven” for their war crimes. This is part of the Public records, however no one seem fazed by the same Nazis from Concentration Camps working for the US Government. (Hint here, they didn’t suddenly become good guys and stellar citizens.)
Permission given for MKULTRA by Allen W. Dulles (then Dir. of CIA) on April 3, 1953 to develop and maintain continuing operational capabilities in the fields of a) *REDACTED* b) chemical and biological materials capable of producing human behavioral and physiological changes
MKULTRA was the cryptonym assigned to encompass the TSD’s (Technical Services Division) Research, Development and Equipment Activities in these two fields.
(page 1, 1963 IG Report)
The MKULTRA charter only provides a brief presentation of the rationale of the authorized activities.
including (per this report)
a) Research in the manipulation of human behavior is considered by many authorities in medicine and related fields to be professionally unethical. Therefore the reputations of professionals participants in the MKULTRA program are on occasion in jeopardy. (Does this mean some people in the medical/research fields participated in the research knowingly?)
b) Some MKULTRA activities raise questions of legality implicit in the original charter. (They KNEW they were breaking the law and violating civil rights as well)
c) a final phase of testing MKU products places the rights and interests of US Citizens in jeopardy. (They knew and didn’t care the cost, they wanted results)
d) Public disclosure of some aspects of MKULTRA activity could induce serious adverse reaction in U.S. public opinion, as well as stimulate offensive and defensive action in this field on the part of foreign intelligence services. (Yes, the US populace would have had a collective fit, and our country might have been vulnerable to attacks of some sort from hostile foreign invaders,as well as some pretty extreme reactions from U.S. Citizens as well)
Funding was also provided for MKULTRA at the eventual 20% of the TSD’s annual budget. (amount redacted)
(page 2 of 1963 IG report, under letters as noted)
On page 4 of the report cited above, it lists the following ways that were designated by the TSD management as appropriate to investigation under the MKU charter, they are as follows; “radiation, electro-shock, various fields of psychology, psychiatry, sociology and anthropology, graphology harassment substances and para military devices and materials.”
on page 5 of the report, we find That there was no consistent record keeping of the aforementioned activities. “The lack of consistent records precluded use of routine inspection procedures and raised a variety of questions concerning management and fiscal controls (no records, no trails of what exactly what was going on, or how much was spent on it. ) further down the page it is mentioned “that under NORMAL circumstances, the inspectors would have examined an inventory of discrediting, disabling and lethal substances perfected or procured from whatever sources.”
page 6 leads us to the comment: section (3) “that only 2 individuals in TSD that have full substantive knowledge of the program and most of that knowledge is unrecorded.”
page 7 tells us that; “TSD initiated a program for the covert testing of materials on unwitting US Citizens in 1955. It further states that the present report reviews the rationale and risks attending this activity and recommends termination of such testing in the United States.” (Did they ever actually stop testing in the US? Did they just move on to the research in Canada and use patients in mental Hospitals there under Dr. Cameron’s “expertise” at McGill University instead?)
Just to let you know, the next part is lengthy and valuable in understanding the truth of what was done to U.S. Citizens and others in the course of this Operation.
How they covered their tracks for the research:
II. Modus Operandi
Page 9 of the report
6. The research and development of materials capable of producing behavioral or physiological change in humans is now performed within a highly elaborate and stabilized MKULTRA structure. The search for new materials; e.g., psilocybin from Mexican mushrooms, or a fungi occurring in agricultural crops, is conducted through standing arrangements with specialists in universities, pharmaceutical houses, hospitals, state and federal institutions, and private research organizations who are authorities in the given field of investigation in their own right. Annual grants of funds are made under ostensible research foundation auspices to the specialists located in the public or quasi-public institutions. This approach conceals from the institution the interest of CIA and permits the recipient to proceed with his investigation, publish his findings (excluding intelligence implications), and account for his expenditures in a manner normal to his institution. A number of grants have included funds for the construction and equipping of research facilities and for the employment of research assistants. Key individuals must qualify for top secret clearance and are made witting of Agency sponsorship. As a rule each specialist is managed unilaterally and is not witting of Agency support of parallel MKULTRA research in his field. The system in effect “buys a piece” of the specialist in order to enlist his aid in pursuing the intelligence implications of his research. His services typically include systematic search of the scientific literature, procurement of materials, their propagation, and the application of test dosages to animals and under some circumstances to volunteer human subjects. No quarrel is found with the rationale of this program to the extent that it fits the original MKULTRA charter. However, for inspection purposes, there were lacking records, year by year, of the progress of each project and the recorded judgments of the project monitors on operational benefits vis-a-vis costs.
7. The funding of sensitive MKULTRA projects by sterile grants in aid as noted in the preceding paragraph disclosed one of the principal controversial aspects of the program.
9. A current development in the testing of new products is the tightening of controls over dosages and procedures by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Since MKULTRA files contained no documentation on this subject, it was not possible to appraise the significance of this development for MKULTRA objectives. However, interviews with the TSD officers concerned indicated that that the new rules are affecting procedures and causing controversy in research hospitals and pharmaceutical houses. The TSD officers have close relationships with key individuals in many of the leading U.S. pharmaceutical houses and count on their continued close cooperation in obtaining materials and services deemed vital to U.s. intelligence.
10. The final phase of testing of MKULTRA materials involves their application to unwitting subjects in normal life settings. It was noted earlier that the capabilities of MKULTRA substances to produce disabling or discrediting effects or to increase the effectiveness of interrogation of hostile subjects cannot be established solely through testing of volunteer populations. Reaction and attribution patterns are clearly affected when the testing is conducted in an atmosphere of confidence under skilled medical supervision.
11. TSD, therefore, entered into a formal arrangement with certain cleared and witting individuals in the Bureau of Narcotics in 1955 which provided for the released of MKULTRA materials for such testing as those individuals deemed desirable and feasible. The initial arrangement obtained the services of a senior representative of the Bureau and one of his assistants on the West Coast. A parallel arrangement was established on the East Coast in 1961. The Director of the Bureau has been briefed on the activity, but the Deputy Chief, TSD, who has guided MKULTRA from its inception, is of the opinion that the former would disclaim all knowledge and responsibility in the event of a compromise. The MKULTRA program director has, in fact, provided close supervision of the testing program from the beginning and makes periodic visits to the sites. A sum of $10,000 has been provided annually to each of the two projects to cover cost of cultivation of targets and maintenance of a safe-house in each area for the observation of effects of substances on selected test individuals.
12. The particular advantage of these arrangements with the Bureau of Narcotics officials has been that test subjects could be sought and cultivated within the setting of narcotics control. Some subjects have been informers or members of suspect criminal elements from whom the Bureau has obtained results of operational value through the tests. On the other hand, the effectiveness of the substances on individuals at all social levels, high and low, native American and foreign, is of great significance and testing has been performed on a variety of individuals within these categories.
17. The final stage of covert testing of materials on unwitting subjects is clearly the most sensitive aspect of MKULTRA. No effective cover story appears to be available. TSD officials state that responsibility for covert testing is transferred to the Bureau of Narcotics. Yet they also predict that the Chief of the Bureau would disclaim any knowledge of the activity. Present practice is to maintain no records of the planning and approval of test programs. The principal responsibility for the propriety of such testing rests with the MKULTRA program director and the Deputy Chief of TSD. The handling of test subjects in the last analysis rests with the Narcotics agent working alone. Suppression of knowledge of critical results from the top TSD and CIA management is an inherent risk in these operations.
The Gottlieb report observed that some case officers have basic moral objections to the concept of MKDELTA and therefore refuse to use the materials. Some senior officers were reported to believe that the proper employment of the capability required more sophistication than most case officers possessed and that there would be a tendency toward over-reliance on and misuse of drugs in lieu of perfecting classic espionage techniques. Finally, it was suggested that MKDELTA controls were so restrictive as to have generated a general defeatism among case officers concerning the chances of getting approval for the use of materials in routine rather than extreme situations. These matters will be reviewed in future field inspections of DD/P area divisions. In the meanwhile, the stationing of qualified TSD consultants in the field and increasing operational experience will tend to develop over time a category of case officers who have acquired direct appreciation of the potential and limitations of MKDELTA capability.
30. TSD has initiated 144 projects relating to the control of human behavior; i.e, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx during the ten years of operation of the MKULTRA program. Twenty-five (25) of these projects remain in existence at the present time, while a number of others are in various stages of termination.
31. Active projects may be groups under the following arbitrary headings. Many projects involve activity in two or more of the areas listed.
a. basic research in materials and processes
b. procurement of research materials
c. testing of substances on animals and human beings
d. development of delivery techniques
e. projects in offensive/defensive BW, CW, and radiation
f. miscellaneous projects; e.g., (1) petroleum sabotage, (2) defoliants, (3) devices for remote measurement of physiological processes
Now that we have all the details and proof out of the way that this truly DID happen, lets take a look at the lives that we know were affected. Due to a lack of record keeping and record destruction,around the time of Watergate, all records are not available at this time. The only reason we have the records we do have on MKULTRA is because some were overlooked in the destruction of the files that did exist. It was financial records that brought this to the attention of the Politicians, Media and the American Public. Sadly, none of these records do not mention the cost to the victims of these programs, I believe thousands of names are lost to History and will never be known.
“An example of the uses on Military members; Morrison & Forester, the plaintiffs’ lawyers, described MKULTRA as a:
“. . . human experimentation program launched in the early 1950s and continued through at least 1976 when it was suspended in response to hearings conducted by Congress. Thousands of experiments took place at the Edgewood Arsenal and Fort Detrick, as well as several universities and hospitals across America contracted by the Defendants. ‘Volunteers’ were exposed to thousands of toxins under code names such as MKULTRA, including drugs such as LSD, mescaline, and cannabis; biological substances such as plague and anthrax; and noxious gases such as sarin, tabun, and nerve gases.”
Often experiments were conducted without the “volunteers’” (or victims in this case) knowledge or consent.” source http://www.topsecretwriters.com/2010/10/veteran-mkultra-victims-sue-us-government/
“Besides drug and chemical experimentation, the program included the use of radiological implants, hypnosis and subliminal persuasion, electroshock therapy and isolation techniques, the report said. In their suit, the vets level similar charges – that the government was attempting to develop and test substances capable of inducing mind control, euphoria, altered personalities, confusion, physical paralysis, mania, illogical thinking and other effects. Many of the experiments, the suit says, were conducted at Army facilities at Edgewood Arsenal and Ft. Detrick, Md. Some left a number of veterans saddled with debilitating health problems for decades to follow. Worse, the veterans say the government has neglected to provide follow-up medical care to mitigate the damages. Some soldiers died from the testing, while others suffered physical and mental ailments including seizures and paranoia, an earlier ruling in the case noted. In this latest bid for full disclosure, the VVA sought documents from the government that reveal the VA’s processes of identifying and notifying soldiers who may have been exposed to the chemical and biological tests”.Another example of how our Veterans have had to fight, to find proof of what happened to them. https://www.naturalnews.com/036598_chemical_experiments_MKUltra_military_veterans.html
It is pretty simple to myself, that some horrible things have been done to our Military in the name of Science. The US Military is trained to follow the orders of the President and their commanding Officers. Has drug and behavioral modification testing been done on the Military all along? Has it been done on their family members as well? What were the deciding factors on who was tested and who wasn’t? Is this still happening today? Can we honestly believe that their are NO programs going on today that put Our Military and American Citizens at risk of Physical, Mental and Emotional harm in some way or form today? To this American, it is plausible. In the first article in this series, the Author mentioned some of the things inflicted on our Military.
“Perhaps MK-ULTRA’s most publicized victim was Frank Olsen, a biochemist working for the Army Chemical Corps’ Special Operations Division at Ft. Detrick, MD. On November 18, 1953, he was administered LSD. Immediately, he became agitated and severely paranoid. Nine days later, he reportedly committed suicide by jumping 13 stories to his death through a New York hotel’s closed window. His family members didn’t know he was drugged until MK-ULTRA was exposed in 1975.
President Gerald Ford apologized, granted a $750,000 settlement, but Olson’s son discovered documents suggesting his father was killed. In 1994, he exhumed the body, had it forensically evaluated, and the conclusion was homicide based on a previously undetected skull fracture suggesting a blow on the head and other disturbing evidence.” source https://www.countercurrents.org/lendman160210.htm
Another publicized MKULTRA victim is Cathy O’Brien , there is a lot of information on her experiences on the Internet, she has also written several books on her experiences.
They tested and experimented on our children.
In short, My fellow Americans, I challenge you at this point in time, to dig deep into everything you have access to, to wake up and open your eyes and see that MKULTRA was not just a short operation, that it continued for many years(through many names) and I seriously suspect continues today through Social media, Movies and Television. The next article in our ongoing series will be dealing with the media. So I invite you to read that one when it is posted as well.
Links for further Research and links used by Author.
Links on Victims of testing
Wormwood series on Netflix